Tips to My Readers

I have set up my blog to have my latest entry showing first. If you want to read my blogs in date order, click on each individual entry as shown in the Blog Archive a little way down on the right hand column.

To view
photos in a larger format, just click on each individual photo and then you can return to my blog by clicking the green arrow button in the top left hand corner. Hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

18 October 2009 - Chiangi Airport, Singapore - A City In Itself! Then on to Frankfurt for a Stopover

We didn't sleep much on the plane but it was a very smooth trip. Thank the Lord I didn't get a blood nose or other complications, which my Haematologist had thought might occur, but chemo bruising became quite severe on my hand - something to keep an eye on. We arrived in Singapore at 5.50 a.m. with the temperature 27 degrees already, even with an overcast sky. Chiangi airport is HUGE! Miles and miles of corridors, shops and arrival and departure gates. The airport itself was stunning - quite an unusual adjective for an airport, but true just the same - with colourful orchid gardens, cascading waterfalls, amazing sculptures, a serene butterfly house and relaxing koi pools. After wandering around and being amazed at the variety of areas, we finally took the monorail to Terminal 1 and booked two Rainforest Slumberettes for four hours in order to catch up on some sleep. It was quite expensive but certainly worth it, with Steve catching about three hours and I managed about one hour - as I had only been catching about two hours each night for the previous six weeks due to the effects of my meds, one hour was a blessing! Then we enjoyed a refreshing shower before taking the shuttle back to Terminal 3 and enjoying lunch at The Hardrock Cafe. Next we were off to Frankfurt - 11 hours away - leaving Singapore at 2.00 p.m. with the flight being quite smooth. I watched Malaysia passing below us, with so many waterways meandering down to the coast, and then Afghanistan - so bleak and stark with no greenery or rivers, just bare, brown mountains and I wondered if the Taliban was hiding out in one of the many caves. My next view was a long, dirt road snaking across Turkmenistan, before a spectacular sunset over the Caspian Sea - so many places I had only read about or seen on TV and never imaged seeing with my own eyes, even if it was from thousands of metres in the air! I managed to sleep for about three and a half hours in total, which was another blessing, and with none of the nausea which had plagued me for the last few weeks. I watched "The Proposal" and "Cheri" while Steve watched "Ice-Age 3" and then we both watched a couple of documentaries before arriving in Frankfurt at 8.10 p.m. where it was 8 degrees - a bit of a change from Singapore and quite a brisk wake-up call for us! We got through Customs very quickly and our luggage was the first off the plane, which surprised both of us, before our free shuttle bus arrived just as we exited the airport - another wonderful blessing! God was certainly looking after us. On the way to the Frankfurt Airport Mercure Hotel and in the middle of an industrial area we saw a mink run across the road in front of us - quite an amazing sight - and about 100 metres down the road a rabbit also ran in front of us which was a nice welcome to a very busy city! Our hotel room was very clean and roomy and even had a bath which I was able to soak in before crawling into a warm, comfortable bed - ah, bliss, sleep in a proper bed after 36 hours traveling and 48 hours since being in a bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment